Advanced Practice in Veterinary Nursing MSc/PgDip/PgCert: Online distance learning
Introduction to Veterinary Nursing Business Management VETMED5058
- Academic Session: 2022-23
- School: School of Biodiversity One Health Vet Med
- Credits: 20
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Summer
- Available to Visiting Students: No
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
- Taught Wholly by Distance Learning: Yes
This course will introduce students to core business concepts and the role that veterinary nurses play in the management of well performing businesses. Participants will learn skills that can be utilised in practice from a variety of areas, including strategy and application.
Students will access lecture materials on a weekly basis via Moodle. There will be online sessions with course staff (lectures and seminars) across Semester 3.
Part 1 - Presentation (30%) 10 mins. (ILO 1 & 3)
Part 2 - A business analysis using established models, make recommendations and a plan to implement this strategy (70%, 3000 words approx). (ILO 2 & 3)
The course aims to introduce students to business management concepts and develop skills relevant to professionals within the veterinary industry. Students will:
■ Explore current theories and models of business management in relation to veterinary business.
■ Evaluate how a registered veterinary nurse can use their knowledge to help manage a veterinary business through their input into marketing, finance, human resources and operations, as well as demonstrating leadership.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate leadership skills in the context of understanding a team dynamic in relation to veterinary practice using established models to address a specific management issue.
2. Critically assess a business's strategic direction and design an effective strategic plan by using recognised and established models which are appropriate for a veterinary business context.
3. Critically analyse key literature relating to the different aspects of business management studies and apply it to the veterinary industry.
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.