Student visas

Arrangements for Students requiring Visas

As your studies will begin in Tartu, Estonia, the University of Glasgow will issue you an admissions letter on behalf of Tartu that can be  taken to your visa application appointment.  Please refer to their guidance on visa and residence permit applications.

IMPORTANT: Students should be aware that Estonia does not have a visa-issuing Embassy in all countries and that you may need to travel elsewhere to apply for the visa.  Please take the additional time and costs involved into account.  

If you have any enquiries relating to your visa application please contact

There are 2 main visa options for study in Glasgow, Standard Visitor Visa or tudent visa:

Standard Visitor Visa

You will be allowed to undertake a short course of study of up to 6 months in duration in the UK (excluding English language courses) if you apply for a visa or enter the UK as a Standard Visitor.

Eligibility requirements to apply for the Standard Visitor Visa can be found on the UKVI webpages .

You will need to prove that you have enough money to cover all reasonable costs of your visit without working or accessing public funds, including the cost of the return or onward journey. You will be able to use someone else's money to prove this if you have personal or professional relationship with them, and they will provide support to you for the duration of your visit.

See the UKVI's Standard Visitor Visa webpages for details of the documents you will need to prepare and how to access the online application form.

Please note: you will not be able to apply for visas to study or visit other countries from within the UK when you hold Standard Visitor Visa.  You would need to apply for a student visa to be able to apply for visas to other countries from within the UK.

Under the conditions of the standard visitor visa, paid or unpaid employment is not permitted.

 Student Visa

Even if you are coming for less than 6 months, you can apply for a Student Visa.  A Student Visa is valid for the duration of the programme.

In order to apply for a Student Visa you will need a CAS number.  CAS will usually be issued by the Admissions team 3 months before your arrival date in the UK, so for CEERES students this would be around October.

A student visa permits employment of up to 20 hours

You must apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa in advance of your departure from your own country. You cannot apply for this upon arrival.

Fees are associated with both visas so please ensure you research which visa option is best suited to your needs.

UK Visas and Immigration website
The University of Glasgow International support pages

Year 2

You will make Year 2 visa arrangements from Glasgow, according to the information provided by partners.  

3rd Mobility Year 2: pathway partners will provide information directly to students.  

Note that some partners require you to provide your original degree certificate on arrival. It is recommended that you bring this with you, or ensure that it is accessible if required.

All students should ensure that they are aware of their home country’s regulations for making visa applications, and confirm that you will be able to make applications for 2nd and 3rd mobility without returning home.