Visa Information

EU immigration portal

European Commission Guidelines on visas  and residence permits for Erasmus+ participants coming from Partner Countries.

Student should refer to the EU immigration portal where information is provided for both short stays and long stays.

Student visas for the UK

Students requiring a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK must follow the instructions on the UK Government website.

The University of Glasgow International Student Support Office is able to provide comprehensive advice on the visa application process.

Arrangements for Students requiring Visas

As your studies will begin in Tartu, Estonia, the University of Tartu will issue you an admissions letter to be taken to your visa application appointment.  Please refer to their guidance on visa and residence permit applications, as well as CEERES specific guidelines

IMPORTANT: Students should be aware that Estonia does not have a visa-issuing Embassy in all countries and that you may need to travel elsewhere to apply for the visa.  Please take the additional time and costs involved into account.

If you have any enquiries relating to your visa application please contact

You will then receive the University of Glasgow CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Study) which will allow you to apply for a UK visa when resident in Estonia.  A CAS is only required if you are applying for a Tier 4 visa to come to the UK.  Students should follow all instructions on the UK Government website.  The University of Glasgow International Student Support Office is able to provide comprehensive advice on the visa application process.

You will make Year 2 visa arrangements from Glasgow, according to the information provided by partners.

Note: Some partners require you to provide your original degree certificate on arrival. It is recommended that you bring this with you, or ensure that it is accessible if required.

All students should ensure that they are aware of their home country’s regulations for making visa applications, and confirm that you will be able to make applications for 2nd and 3rd mobility without returning home.

You can also refer to the EU immigration portal where information is provided for both short stays and long stays.


Rights of Residence for EU Citizens

EU Citizens have the right to stay in Estonia based on a valid travel document or identity card for the period up to three months.  As you are staying longer, you must register yourself as a citizen of Tartu within three months from the date of entering Estonia in order to obtain the right of temporary residence.  The registration process and documents required for registration are listed here: 

After the registration, the right of permanent residence is granted for a period of five years.  All EU citizens also need to have an Estonian ID code, which will be given upon registering for their residency in Estonia.

D-type visa for non-EU students

All CEERES students without EU/EEA or Swiss citizenship need a long-stay (D-type) visa in order to study in Estonia.  There are a limited number of Estonian embassies that handle visa applications across the world.  All students applying for visas need to consider that they must visit an Estonian embassy either in their home country or abroad in person.  Those who need to go abroad or travel to a different city, please consider that travelling requires additional time and financial resources and plan accordingly so that your arrival in Estonia is not delayed.  The countries with Estonian embassies that handle visa applications include China, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Egypt, Australia, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, USA, Georgia, Israel, Canada, India, Japan and some EU countries  Ireland, Finland, Great Britain, France, Latvia and Sweden.

Information regarding the application process and the documents to be submitted for the long-stay (D) visa is explained here:  Please make sure you read the “D-visa” section, as this is the most applicable to CEERES students.

Health Insurance

International students studying in Estonia are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Haigekassa) unless they are full-time PhD students or employed in Estonia.  If you are an EU citizen and have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, you can apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC) or substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (E128).  You should apply for that from the social services authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia.

Students from outside the EU will be required to purchase a separate health insurance plan.  There is a strict policy in Estonia regarding which instances must be covered by any health insurance policy when applying for a visa residence permit.  The Estonian Police and Border Guard has confirmed that only the following listed companies can be accepted –

Please note that when applying for health insurance, the insurance coverage needs to be given for the full period of your studies in Tartu.

International Students are required to apply for either a Short Term Study Visa or Tier 4 Student Visa

Short Term Study Visa – If you wish to apply for a short-term study visa, the university will issue you an official letter of support, which is required to submit your visa application.  The short term study visa is cheaper than the Tier 4 visa, however please note that this visa will only cover your first mobility period to Glasgow (Jan-May), and if you decide to return to the UK for your fourth mobility period, you will need to apply for a second short-term visa.

Tier 4 Student Visa – You will require a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) from the University of Glasgow in order to make a Tier 4 student visa application.  The University will issue CAS letters to all international students who have received and accepted an unconditional offer, normally three months before the start of the programme.  If you intend to return to the UK for your fourth mobility, summer periods or for dissertation research, the Tier 4 visa is the better option.

The University of Glasgow International Student Support Office is able to provide comprehensive advice on the visa application process.

Health Insurance

Since 6th April 2015 those submitting applications for entry clearance to come to the UK, as well as those applying in the UK for an extension of stay, will be required to pay the Healthcare Surcharge as part of the visa process.  The payment of this charge will allow access to free hospital treatment.  This also applies to your dependants  here with you in Glasgow.  There are certain types of treatment which remain free for everyone and there are also certain exemptions.  For details, please see

If you are coming to Scotland on a short-term student visa for six months or less and will be studying a full-time course, access to healthcare in Scotland will be free and you do not have to pay the Healthcare Surcharge.

All non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) students and their families should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK.  This card will entitle you to NHS treatment.  For more information please see



EU Citizens

Citizens of the 27 member states of the European Union do not need a visa to enter Poland.  This also applies to citizens of countries belonging to the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein) as well as citizens of countries which have signed an agreement on free movement of people (Switzerland).  Once you have arrived, you should apply for a one-year temporary residence permit.  You should apply for a temporary residence permit at the Wydzial Spraw Obywatelskich (Department of Citizenship Affairs) at ul. Przy Rondzie 6, tel +48 12 4223105.  The staff of the Centre for European Studies will be able to help you when dealing with this office.  In order to get a temporary residence permit you will need to have:

  • A filled-in application form – one original and three photocopies, available from the Wydzial Spraw Obywatelskich as well as online
  • Medical insurance (European Health Card or private coverage)
  • Proof of funds to cover your stay in Poland (a written statement what you have enough funds for your planned stay or a copy of your bank statement)
  • A copy of your travel document (usually a photocopy of the photograph page of your passport)
  • Information about your place of residence in Poland.  (If you are staying in the student halls of residence, you only need your residence registration – ‘meldunek’.  If you are staying in private housing, you will need your ‘meldunek’ and contract).
  • A letter from the Jagiellonian University

Registration of your stay and a document certifying your registration may be issued to you immediately.  You would need to pay a fee of zl. 1.  The process of issuing a permit usually takes about a month.

Dependants and family members will not be covered by temporary residence permits issued to students.

The card  is issued for the time that you indicate in your application but for no longer than 5 years.

Non-EU Citizens

Polish law requires that all non-EU, non-EFTA citizens who wish to study in Poland must get a student visa from the Polish Consulate nearest to them in their home country.  (Your country’s consulate in Poland are unlikely to know much more than you do about Polish visas).  Persons wishing to study in Poland may apply for the national long-stay visas (D).  Please note that this kind of visa entitles the holder to travel through the Schengen area for up to 3 months.

Entrance visas issued by the Polish consulate in your home country should be valid for one year.  The visa should be free of charge, although the various consulates have a lot of autonomy in requiring you to pay additional fees for processing.  Make sure that you request a multiple-entry visa.  The visa permits continuous residence in the territory of the Republic of Poland or multiple consecutive periods of residence, not exceeding jointly, in the case of a long-term visa – a year within the period of visa validity.  You are not usually legally allowed to work in Poland on a student visa during the regular academic year.  In order to get a student visa you must have:

  • A valid passport (the passport validity must exceed the required date of departure from Poland by at least 3 months) with at least one blank visa page
  • One colour 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm photograph which shows your left ear (not a profile, but a slight turn of the head)
  • A letter of invitation addressed to the consulate from the Jagiellonian University (the letter addressed to the consulate is provided by the CES administration office)
  • Proof that you have the financial means to travel to and from Poland and maintain yourself while you are there without working.  (Usually a printout of your bank statement showing that you have some money is sufficient.  If you will be receiving grants or loans, those are good things to show as well.  The most recent official recommendation if that you should be able to show that you can be expected to cover at least zl. 800 per month)
  • A filled- in application form  (available from the Polish consulate as well as online)

Please note that individual Consulates might have more specific rules about the documentation for the visa:

Consulates have the right to request additional documentation where it is deemed necessary.  For example, students have been asked for:

  • Proof that the student has paid the application registration fee or even a portion of the tuition fee for their programme (even if the Jagiellonian University deadline is still in the future)
  • Medical coverage – either medical insurance or proof that you have sufficient means to purchase medical insurance.  All visitors from outside of the EU to the Schengen area countries should have basic health and accident insurance that will cover up to 30,000 euro.  Students may be asked to show insurance coverage for the first few  months of their stay and/or a statement that the student needs to get Polish insurance upon matriculating as a student.
  • The address of the student residence where the student will be living

Most Consulates can issue a visa within 7 to 10 working days of the application and most offer an express service (one or two days) for an additional fee.

Health insurance

If you are an EU/EFTA and you have the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) then you are entitled to receive free health care services.  Using your card you can go directly to a General Practitioner.  Citizens of the EU/EFTA who are not insured in their country of origin or students from countries outside the EU/EFTA should purchase insurance before they arrive in Poland or purchase insurance in the Polish National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia – NFZ).  The monthly cost of such insurance for students is around 40 PLN (9 EUR).  Foreigners insured in NFZ, are treated equally to Polish citizens and have the same access to health care benefits and the financing of these benefits.  Persons without health insurance coverage in Poland or any other member state of the EU/EFTA, may – as a general rule –  use health benefits for a fee.  In the event of presenting an appropriate health insurance policy (for example the policy required for the Schengen visa), a facility offering medical assistance may settle the costs directly with the insurer.




Information on the regulations concerning the visa and the residence permit can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Hungary or at the diplomatic and consular missions of Hungary (see the Ministry website for the list).

International students are highly recommended to consult the relevant authorities (and their websites) at least 2 months before the beginning of their studies.  Upon receipt of the Letter of Acceptance from the Corvinus University of Budapest, students from non-EEA countries (non-EEA nationals) must hand in their demand on residence permit for the purpose of studies at the Hungarian Embassy in their home country.  (We very much recommend that all non-EEA citizens – even those who are eligible to enter Hungary without a visa for up to 90 days – apply for a visa for residence permit BEFORE coming to Hungary).

In case of successful application, the students obtain a visa – for the purposes of studies – authorising them to a single entry for receiving the residence permit and to stay for a maximum of 30 days in Hungary.  The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Office of Immigration and Nationality.  The students must visit the Office of Immigration and Nationality and obtain their residence permit within 30 days from the day of entry.

All non-EEA nationals must, at all times during their stay and studies here, have a valid residence permit allowing them to study in Hungary.  Those international students who area staying at Corvinus for a longer period of time – for more than one semester are obliged to have the residence permit renewed before it expires.  Please note that renewal of the residence permit must be started at least 30 days before it expires.

The regulations for the registration of the place of residence and the residence permit can also be found on the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality and/or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Here you can find the most up-to-date list of diplomatic and consular representations in Hungary.

Students from EEA countries (EEA nationals) must obtain their certificate of registration at the regional directorate competent for the place of residence within 3 months form the day of entry.

All international students are also responsible for registering their housing address at the regional directorate competent for the place of residence.  Each student will receive “an address ID card” which is obligatory for all people residing in Hungary.  In general, all international students have to notify the authorities about their place of residence soon after arrival and within 3 days of any changes taking place.

Further information on visa and residence permit (pdf version)

Health Care and Insurance

All international students are recommended to insure themselves in their home country.  Valid health insurance for the duration of your stay in Hungary is obligatory (if your health insurance card does not specifically state that it is valid for EU member states or that it is valid specifically for Hungary, please ask your insurance company to supply you with an official letter to this effect as the Hungarian Immigration Authorities may need this statement when you arrive in Budapest).  NB: The health insurance must provide full coverage, emergency health insurance will not be accepted.

Health Care Services in Hungary (pdf version)


All foreign students will be assisted by Ilia State University Office of Foreign Relations during Visa and Residence Permit application process.

Students are required to apply for Long Term Visa (Immigration Visa, type D) for study purposes.  For this, students must be enrolled at Ilia State University and hold official enrolment letter.

For further information on applying for a visa, please follow the link below:

General Information

If you are planning to arrive in Kazakhstan, you must apply for relevant visa at an overseas Kazakhstan embassy or consulate.  The application procedure to the embassy or consulate varies, so it is advised to check it beforehand.  Before applying for visa, KIMEP students must be admitted and get invitation letter with refence number from KIMEP Visa Coordinator.  The length of the visa is determined by the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and the expiration date of your visa may not match the end date of your degree programme.

Information about invitation letter/visa support

After your affiliation with KIMEP is settled, for visa support you need to make a request to the KIMEP Visa Coordinator at and send a Visa Application Form along with scanned copy of your passport and ticket.

Important Information

  • Passport should be valid at least more than 6 months after expiry date of visa
  • Request for an invitation letter should be submitted in writing by email at least 2 months prior to the intended arrival date in Kazakhstan
  • KIMEP Visa Officer sends the invitation letter with the refence number by email to the applied person
  • The valid invitation with reference number does not constitute a guarantee that a visa will be issued as the matter is under the Kazakhstan Consulate discretion
  • It is impossible to get a visa in the airport in Kazakhstan

Basic required documents for international students and visitors to apply for a visa to Kazakhstan

  • Passport
  • Visa Application Form
  • KIMEP Invitation letter with reference number (if any)
  • Abstract from Order of Admission to KIMEP (for students)
  • Medical Insurance
  • Visa Fee

The Kazakhstan Embassy or Consulate abroad may ask you to submit additional documents.

Upon Arrival

Registration: you need to have the migration card which you are given while passing the customs at the border.  Passport registration must be completed within five (5) days after the arrival date.



To apply for a visa, the applicant should complete the following steps (at least 2 months before the expected date of arrival/start of the programme)

  • Fill in the online application form
  • Submit a copy of their international passport (valid more than 2 years prior to the date of their arrival to Russia); their documents of previous education (student’s certificate & transcript – for international mobility applicants); medical documents confirming the absence of pre-existing medical conditions preventing their studies in Russia, including HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis tests; a letter of nomination for exchange/mobility

Citizens of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine are permitted to stay in the Russian Federation without a visa.

For students who are citizens of other countries not listed here, the University addresses the general Administration for Migration Issues of the Interior Ministry of Russia to launch the invitation process.  The Administration issues an invitation letter approximately 6 weeks after the University’s official request.  The original invitation letter is required in order to obtain a three month student visa at the local Russian Embassy.  If a student wants to study longer, they can have UNN extend their visa without leaving the country.  One month prior to expiration of their visa, they should come to the Dean’s office with all the necessary documents.

For more information, please visit:

Health Insurance

We strongly recommend all our student to purchase Russian health insurance.  Students will have the opportunity to buy Russian health insurance upon arrival at the Dean’s Office.  It costs about 3000 rubles per semester (standard price for students from all health insurance companies)

All NaUKMA  international students, arriving to NaUKMA for the period longer than 90 days, will receive a Letter of Invitation, issued by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.  After receiving the Invitation for Study you should pay for the visa verification procedure (‘visa support’) on the web-page of the Ukrainian State Centre of the International Education (Important – Your invitation will not be considered by the Consular Sections of the Ukrainian Embassies without visa verification procedure completed.  Exchange students, participants of the Erasmus+ mobility are exempted from payment of the invitation fee).  Having the invitation and approximately a week after payment for visa verification procedure you can apply for the D-type Ukrainian visa (‘long-term multi entry’), for the details please contact the Consular Section of the Embassy of Ukraine in your country.  Upon arrival to Ukraine, D-type visa should be exchanged for Temporary Residence Permit within its validity (90 days), but no later than 2 weeks before its expiration date.  Our staff will help you to prepare an application for the Temporary Residence Permit and will explain further steps to be done (e.g. registration at the place of residence etc.).  Temporary Residence Permit is valid for the period of your study at NaUKMA and will allow you to leave and enter Ukraine without any additional documents needed during this period.  Those of you arriving from other countries with non-visa regime with Ukraine still have to obtain Temporary Residence Permit, if you plan to stay at NaUKMA longer than 90 days, though you do not need the get D-type visa.

Ukraine has a non-visa policy for up to 90 days stay with many countries, please find information here.  Please note, that we shall not be able to prolong your stay after 90 days, if you are a citizen of one of these countries and would arrive to Ukraine without D-type visa.

For obtaining Temporary Residence Permit and official registration at the University as an international student you should submit to the NaUKMA International Office the following documents:

  • insurance, covering emergency medical cases (should be purchased in Ukraine.  If you have your international one, we can check if it can be accepted by the Ukraine’ Migration Authorities, but in most cases the one purchased in Ukraine is needed)
  • photocopy of passport including the visa, translated to Ukrainian language with notary certification and the entry stamp to Ukraine
  • 6 passport size photos (size 4.5 x 3.5 cm)
  • please refer to the Academic issues section for the other documents you will be requested for academic registration


All NaUKMA international students are requested to have insurance for emergency medical cases – to be purchased in Ukraine (this is required for obtaining Temporary Residence Permit).  NaUKMA International Office staff will help you with purchasing the insurances required in Ukraine.